The Lake County Division of Transportation implemented an interactive map of vehicle collisions going back to 2017. Using ARC Gis, this is an outstanding tool for visualizing five years worth of crash data. The tool is quite fascinating and is built for regular users. Some particular facts jump out when visiting the site..
- In five years, there have been 60,894 vehicle crashes in Lake County with 199 of those involving at least one fatality
- Using the heat map layer, several intersections in Waukegan and Gurnee indicates the most vehicle accidents
- Also observing the head map, Waukegan, Highland Park and Libertyville led for pedalcyclist crashes
- Highland Park shows substantial intensity for accidents involving pedestrians
- Accidents were actually down in 2020 and 2021, even though we felt like there was an increase. There has however been fewer cars on the road due to working from home.
The online tool is well work a visit and can accessed here: https://lakecountyil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards